Culinary/edible mushrooms are nutritious and delicious. They're some of the most expensive gourmet wild foods on the market. Culinary mushrooms are a great source of fiber, protein, B vitamins, copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc, selenium and glutathione, and vitamin D. So when you're eating mushrooms you're still getting a wide array of nutrients! This galette is a wonderful way to incorporate more mushrooms into your diet.
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup buckwheat flour (or almond flour, you can experiment!)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup coconut oil
½ teaspoon forest juice
¼ cup ice water
4 cups mushrooms: king oyster, chanterelles, oyster, shiitake, enoki, etc.
1-2 T avocado oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
1 T Thyme
Salt + pepper
- In a blender or food processor, pulse rolled oats until they turn into a flour.
- In a mixing bowl, add oat flour, buckwheat flour, sea salt and mix to combine.
- Add maple syrup, coconut oil and slowly add a splash of ice cold water. Combine with fingertips and add more water. Mix with fingers slowly and methodically until well combined but don't over process or over-knead. Form dough into a disc, wrap in cloth and set in fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Chop onions, garlic and mushrooms to prepare for pan frying.
- Oil pan with avocado oil or oil of choice and sauté onions and garlic for a few minutes before adding mushrooms. Add more oil or a splash of water as necessary or to your liking.
- Add thyme and mix in. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook mushrooms 3/4 way through, they will finish cooking in the oven. Remove from heat and set aside while you prepare the dough.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- After at least 30 mins, remove dough from fridge and get an oven baking sheet ready. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Place dough on paper/silicon in the center of the baking sheet and begin to press out dough with roller or with base of the hand/palm and fingers. Continue to spread out dough, evening it out. Roll out dough into a circle (ish) that is about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Add mushroom filling into the center of the circle and fold the edges of your dough up and around the mushroom filling. Seal off any open holes by pinching dough together.
- Place in oven and bake for 30-35 mins until the crust is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove, let it cool a bit, slice and enjoy!